I was incredibly surprised as we already have so much going on with the shop it was the last thing I was thinking of. Mr P on the other hand had been planning since Christmas!
Elbow were in concert at Jodrell Bank and we managed to get tickets, Mr P suggested that we book into a hotel and stay over night and as I didn't know what to get him for his birthday, I said I'd pay for it as a treat. There aren't that many hotels around Jodrell Bank but Mr P chose a really lovely one called The Bears Paw. He chose well, very well. The hotel, a 5* is in a stunning location in Cheshire. It's the very best of old meets new and somewhere I'd love to stay again if we get a chance, it's very luxurious. We got to the hotel, checked into our room, grabbed a bite to eat, then got a taxi to Jodrell Bank. The atmosphere was great, like a mini festival. We sat on the grass having a drink and were just really enjoying some grown up time. Elbow came onto the stage, the 'big dish' was turned into alignment to face the audience and the music began (along with the rain!) Elbow are quite simply amazing live and we were really enjoying ourselves. A little over half way through their set list, they played our favourite song, Starlings. This is when in the blink of an eye, almost like a slight of hand illusion a beautiful ring appeared on my finger and Mr P asked if I'd like to get married. Below is a video of that moment from the concert.
To be fair I had partaken of a few wee drinks and to say I was stunned is a huge understatement, I just stared at him quite blankly in utter disbelief, when he gently reminded me that I hadn't answered him!
Of course, without a moments thought I said yes, through lots of tears. It honestly was the most wonderful, perfect, romantic moment in my life ever and nothing I write will ever really get across just how perfect it was.
I spent the rest of the evening in a bit of a daze and it was only once we got back to our lovely hotel that we were able to talk about it all properly.
It was then I found out about all the planning that had gone in to that special moment six months of planning. Arranging for us to be alone together, away from the day to day of family life, finding out an idea of what kind of rings I liked, finding the right jewellers, not to mention the right ring and all without me suspecting what was going on. Very impressive and slightly worrying!
I think I woke up just about every hour of that night and checked my hand for my ring to make sure I hadn't imagined the whole thing!
We came home and told the children, who were thrilled. M actually burst into tears My lovely future in-laws already knew what Mr P had planned and they were thrilled also, so much so that they left us only to return about an hour later with a huge bouquet of flowers, pink fizz, a chocolate truffle cake, cards and gifts.
Slowly it was starting to sink in and even more so as I rang round my nearest and dearest to share with them our happy news.
So what about the ring? Well, we took it back to the jewellers today and not because I didn't like it!
The ring is beautiful, I loved it, I couldn't have chosen better if I'd picked it myself. However, Mr P had a very definite idea of what he wanted me to have and luckily the jeweller he chose to use prides himself on making his customers happy. Mr Connard of Connard & Sons spent a lot of time with Mr P making sure he got what he wanted, the only thing is their rings aren't from a catalogue, they're individual, each one is individually made and marked, you can choose the stone, colour, shape and size and then the setting style and colour. With a date set for him to propose, having a ring made from scratch would have meant no ring for the proposal, there was however a ring that matched all of Mr P's requirements perfectly except it was set in yellow gold and he'd wanted the same ring but in white gold. Mr Connard came up with a solution. Take the ring for the proposal and then return it to have the stones (beautiful stones that they are) re-set in a white gold setting and sized to fit me perfectly, so that's what Mr P did.
We went back today to the most quaint old fashioned shop in Southport. It's like stepping back in time when shops were individual and service was of a very high standard. The assistant recognised Mr P instantly and congratulated us. Mr Connard also came to congratulate us and over see the sizing of the ring and to make sure we, I, was happy with everything. So with great reluctance we've left the ring with them so that it can be sent off and my stones re-set in the right setting. Already I miss having it on my hand, I loved admiring it, especially knowing all the thought that had gone into choosing it.
I'm not going to tell you what it's like, I want to show you, so you'll have to wait, like me, for about three weeks (yes three!)
As I've already said nothing I write will ever do justice to the moment or properly relay the sheer joy I feel as I share our news, but I wanted to share it none the less. It really was a magical moment.
To everyone who have wished us well, be it in person, by phone, on FaceBook or Twitter, thank you all.
But most of all I want to thank my wonderful Mr P, for sweeping me off my feet and loving me the way only he can. I love him with all my heart and very much look forward to the day when I become Mrs P XX

Awww soo romantic!! There's hope for me yet haha x
ReplyDeleteOf course there is Nic xx
ReplyDeleteI missed this news!!! Congratulations xx
ReplyDelete