Mr P, my partner has a sweet tooth I blogged about his birthday cupcakes and the Oreo cupcakes that followed Here. The Oreo ones set his mind to work wondering what other of his favourites I could turn into Cupcake creations. Next came a request for Malteaser cupcakes, which I'm pleased to say turned out well. Then came the request for Snicker cupcakes. Hmmm! I had to think about this one. Not so easy to blitz up a snickers bar to add to the mixture and anyway, I'd done that! No, these needed to be different.
So this is what I came up with.
I started with my usual Chocolate Cupcake recipe and made 12 cakes.
| Cooling off in a sunny spot |
Once they'd cooled I took a knife and cup into the tops.
| Use a nice sharp knife |
| Cut in a round as if you were making 'TopHat' cakes |
Take a teaspoon and fill each hole with a teaspoon of caramel.
Pop the lid back on to each cake. Don't worry if some of the caramel oozes out, it will be hidden under the icing!
Speaking of icing, this one's not for the feint hearted!
I made half my usual quantity of Butter Cream icing (200g Butter, 400g Icing Sugar, splash of milk) and added to it a whole jar of crunchy Peanut Butter (or Peanutterbut as it's known in our house!) I found it better to make up the Butter cream first and then stir in the Peanut butter. You want to thoroughly combine it but don't over mix it.
Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe your icing as usual.
I topped them off with a slice of a mini snickers bar. In fact they were treat size Nutty Bars from Asda. I popped them in the fridge to firm them up, making them easier to slice.
I was really pleased with how they looked. They'd turned out pretty much as I'd hoped. But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating!
| Oozy caramel centres |
The family all really liked them, even R who is not a huge cake fan and doesn't like Peanut Butter.
I only ate a half. I'm watching my weight (again!) and I calculated the cost in calories of these little beauties and they come in at slightly under 500 calories each! I wonder what suggestions Mr P will give me next???
They look lovely, Nigella has a snicker recipe with the bars chopped and peanut butter mixed in the batter. Have been a big hit here. (yours look nicer though)
ReplyDelete