So when she asked this morning if she could bake some fairy cakes by her self I agreed but made a point of showing her where the recipe was and insisted that she needed to read the instructions, which she assured me she would.
I chose a recipe from The Dairy book of home cooking. It's full of good basic recipes and was given to me by my Mum when I was about 18. It's got lots of information about different cuts of meat, kitchen hygiene and storing food etc. Great for a cook just starting out. The methods are broken down into clear instructions and I still refer back to this book for certain recipes even now. With all this in mind I thought it would be a good place for L to start.
So I showed her a basic sponge recipe that can be used for a Victoria sandwich or fairy cakes.
100g Butter
100g Caster sugar
100g Self raising flour
2 eggs
3 tbsp jam
icing sugar sifted.
Had she read the instructions and not just the list of ingredients she would have known that the jam and icing sugar are for the Victoria sandwich version, but no!
I was called to the kitchen as she was so proud of her measuring skills only to find that everything had been placed in one bowl. No creaming of butter and sugar here, no adding one egg at a time, no gently folding in of flour, just a big bowl of ingredients unmixed and topped off with a huge blob of raspberry jam!!
I calmly asked what the jam was doing in the bowl and was told that "that's what it said in thew book".
Oh dear. I think a little work on reading INSTRUCTIONS is required, don't you?!
I told her to go ahead and mix it all up & we'd just have to see what results we got.
| Raspberry Jam cake mix |
| some of these are, as my Mum would say "Donkeys years old!" |
| L likes to work in a mess! |
| They smelled delicious |
| Of course sprinkles were required |
I don't think she made a mistake at all. She just used the all-in-one-method!!! We learn through our mistakes and I think it is good that you let her get on independently in the kitchen. I must let my son do the same!
ReplyDeleteI love those cake cases!
ReplyDeleteI think jam in a cake mix sounds quite good - could you taste it?
You should do tie dye with the kids, its very easy indeed, they'd love it. We are going to do more - its addictive!!
xx
The cake cases are great. So many different patterns & colours they'd cost a fortune now! You could taste the jam and it was nice! x
ReplyDeleteMaybe you're right Simone, I do like the all in one method myself! x