Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Gallery - Animals

So this weeks theme for The Gallery is Animals.
I grew up always having animals around, a cat, dogs, budgies, a rabbit and a gerbil. I think that animals teach children a lot, responsibility, trust, unquestioning love and affection, and loss.

My parents already had a cat, Sheba, when I was born. She didn't like me much! That might of had something to do with me cutting her whiskers right off, whilst trying out my new paper scissors (ooops!) And then when I was about 7 my parents said we could get a puppy. I'm not sure what kind of dog she was, but I remember the day we went to collect her from a friend of a friend's house.
Me, with Tammy
Sadly we only had her for about 18 months as she was born with a condition no one knew about. Nothing could be done to save her and I remember the day my Mum came home from the vets with just her collar and lead in her hand.

A while after we lost Tammy a customer in the bakers told my Mum she had some rescue puppies. All had been chosen to go to new homes except the runt of the litter.
Me with Pippa
My Mum went to see the puppies and of course she came home with us. She was a Border Collie cross with a pretty Tortoiseshell coat. She was part of the family for about 16 years. She didn't always have the best temperament, she could be snappy, but she was still a lovely dog.

I decided after much thinking to get my children a dog. Just like me, when they were born I already owned a cat. He's an old man now, at 15 years and he's no ordinary cat! Apart from being very large, he just doesn't behave like a cat! He belongs to no one, we belong to him and once he decides that he's getting on your lap, there is very little you can do about it.
Felix the laptop cat!
Back to the dog - I didn't tell the children I was getting us a dog. I knew in my head the kind of dog I wanted. I love Jack Russells, but I wanted a long haired dog & long haired Jacks can be quite wiry, not great for snuggling up to. So I went out with the idea of a small scruffy dog something like a Jack Russell.
The idea was to have a look and get a better idea of the type of dog we might get. Who was I kidding!?!

The minute I walked in to the shop and saw the puppies in the pen, I knew I'd be taking one home!
There were several breeds and cross breeds available, but the ticket that caught my eye was 'Jack Russell X Bichon Frise'. In the pen were three puppies one smaller than the other two that turned out to be a girl. I wanted a boy pup, mainly because my little boy is outnumbered by girls!
The assistant got out the two boy puppies and gave one to me and the other to Mr P. Mr P's puppy sat in his hands, wagged it's tail and licked his fingers. The puppy I had, my puppy, scrambled out of my hands to get to my face and covered me in puppy kisses. He was a real little live wire that simply did not sit still and had bags and bags of energy. Clearly he was the one!
Mr P made me leave him at the shop and go and have lunch, just to make sure it wasn't a snap decision. I couldn't eat my lunch quick enough, I was desperate to get back to the shop and take him home.
I borrowed a puppy crate from a friend and popped him in it while we went to get the children from school.

We told them we had a surprise for them, but they soon figured out what it was as they could hear him whining and yelping as soon as we got into the house!
Bruno 
We named him Bruno, after an ancient floating bath toy of mine that's shaped like a little bear!
The first night was the worst. Poor Mr P only got about and hour or two's sleep. I on the other hand, didn't hear a thing! Mr P and I weren't living together at the time and I didn't fancy being woken up every night so he ended up sleeping on a blanket on my bedroom floor. No more whining, just peaceful sleep!
Afternoon nap!
He was a chewer! The table legs, chairs, socks, toys, anything made of wood and even my iPod cable. Oh and the dustpan and brush found a new home in his basket!
Bad Puppy!!!
Thankfully that didn't last long and now he only chews the things he is supposed to, well most of the time anyway.

No matter how much work he was as a puppy, getting him was definitely the right thing to do. Mr P has often asked why I didn't get the quiet pup, but that just wouldn't have been me. I wanted a scruffy, cheeky little dog and that's exactly what we got.
He's nuts for sure, but he fits in perfectly with our family. The children adore him. If they cry he goes to them, if they're poorly he'll lay with them, he comes up to tuck them in at night and jumps from one bed to the other making them squeal, not ideal at bedtime maybe, but lots of fun!
They dress him up and he really doesn't mind, most of the time.....
Come on England!

He went trick or treating with the kids  

Hohoho!

He's a scoundrel!

Anyone for a round of Golf??
They dress him up and carry him round and he doesn't mind at all. He is so good natured and so affectionate.

We took him on holiday with us this summer. I couldn't leave him behind. He really is a part of the family.
Are we nearly there yet?

No matter what else is going on he's always there with his ever-wagging tail to greet you. You can tell him anything and he's always on your side and he NEVER says no to a cuddle! That why we all love him so

Our Bruno
Pop over to Sticky Fingers to see the other Gallery entries x

3 comments:

  1. that last paragraph says it all. Fab pics too

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely post, pets really are part of the family and Bruno looks like a great dog!

    ReplyDelete