Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Cake of the week - Lauren's Birthday Cake

Once again I have the opportunity to join in with Helen's Cake Of The Week link on her fabulous blog CasaCostello I linked up a couple of weeks ago for Megan's Birthday where I not only made my first fully iced birthday cake, but a two tier one at that!
Thankfully Lauren's request was simpler, a chocolate cake with blue feathers on! So that's what she got!
As usual I left it until very late on the night before her birthday to decorate it and didn't really have an idea of how I was going to decorate it until I started. It's fair to say it was less than perfect. The chocolate icing didn't behave quite like the white I'd used for Megan's cake and it wasn't nearly as forgiving, hence the double ribbon round the sides.
Lauren had chosen the feathers so I popped those on, along with her candles and her name but it looked far too plain. I decided on butterflies with a couple of little flowers and it just kind of grew from there.

Helen made some lovely comments on my last cake, but this one has confirmed to me that iced cakes are not my strong point!! Maybe on day in the future when I have more time (who am I kidding, right??!!) I'll learn the art of decorating celebration cakes, until then they'll be for the children only and I'll concentrate on cakes for the shop!
But most importantly the Birthday girl loved it! Happy 11th Birthday Lauren! xxx

Pop over to see Helen's last wedding cake for a while, talk about go out with a bang! It's amazing!


1 comment: