I've been meaning to add this recipe to a blog and share it for a while now, but every time I make it I'm in such a hurry to eat it that I forget to take pictures!
So I'm posting the recipe anyway! It's too good not to share!
The recipe is not totally my own, I adapted it from a recipe that was posted on a friend's Facebook, when she found herself kitcheless, with only a slow cooker for family meals.
Now those of you who know me will know how much I love my slow cooker! I'm proud of the fact that I've converted a couple of friends to use them too!
This recipe is an American recipe. I don't have American measuring cups so for a recipe like this when quantities don't need to be precise, just in proportion I use a tea cup as a measure and call it measuring in 'ish'. Using this method for this recipe has never let me down!
I use a 1.2 - 1.5 kg piece of Pork shoulder. I look for a piece with very little fat or skin, as unlike when I do a roast & want it all crispy, you'll just be cutting it off.
This cut is very often on offer in the supermarkets so I always buy a piece and make this recipe. It feeds 6 easily with left overs and can be stretched to feed further depending on how you serve it.
Today we had it with potato & sweet potato wedges, corn, coleslaw & onion rings.
We've also had it mixed with beans, rice & cheese in a wrap to make burrito's or in Burger buns with fries & salad. Either of the last two suggestions work really well for a crowd!
So grab a teacup and make this marinade!
Into the slow cooker dish goes
1 large onion roughly chopped
1/2 a cup ketchup
1/3 cup cider or wine vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp American mustard
1/2 tsp salt
a good grind of black pepper
Mix well and put on LOW.
Take the pork and cut away any fat or rind & discard. Cut the pork into 4 pieces, no need to be fancy you just want 4 hunks of meat!
Place the pork into the slow cooker & coat thoroughly with the marinade. Place the lid on the slow cooker & leave to do it's thing for 8-10 hours, yes really!
There's no need to add any liquid, just leave it on low and walk away.
Once ready remove pork from the slow cooker and turn heat setting to HIGH to reduce the sauce. I always skim the fat from the top if there is any.
Take 2 forks & shred the pork. Once all shredded either spoon over the cooking sauce or place the meat back in the slow cooker and turn heat setting down to 'WARM'
Serve in any of the ways suggested above and enjoy :o)
If you like a little spice I suggest adding a little Harissa paste to the mix or Chipotle chilli paste but do so with CAUTION! Slow cookers intensify the heat, I'm thinking a teaspoon would be more than enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment