So on my day off I did all the usual daily chores, like cleaning up the kitchen and getting some washing done. I popped into town to pick up a parcel, go to the bank and pick up a few groceries and when I came home I headed for the kitchen.
We'd already eaten most of the cake I made at the weekend, although Mr P had taken some into work for a colleague to try so that's why it had disappeared quicker than usual (that's my excuse!) so I decided to make another one. We love the Fruit and Almond cake and I do make it most weeks so I decided to make something different. I've had Rachel Allens Bake book for a while and haven't used it much so I picked that off the shelf. I chose a recipe for an iced orange cake. It sounded lovely and I had oranges spare so even better. However, when I opened the oven I was horrified that the cake hadn't really risen and it had sunk in the middle. I was less than impressed! I iced it all the same and hoped it would taste better than it looked but I really wasn't happy. I still took a picture as I don't believe in only sharing successes and it was only just now as I looked up the recipe online so that I could include it here that I got to see a picture of Rachel's finished cake. Her cake has a sunken centre just like mine! She'd iced it a little differently but the cake itself was the same.
![]() |
| Too sweet for my taste |
![]() |
| Ready for the freezer |
The recipe is so simple that it's barely a recipe at all!
I use
200g self raising flour
100g butter
pinch of salt
any herbs or spices I feel like adding
Water to mix
Rub in the butter into the flour by hand then add salt & herbs/spices and enough water to make into a soft dough. Roll into balls and place them on top of the casserole. (they'll be half in the liquid and half out) You can cover the casserole or leave it open for a crispier top to your dumplings but I cover mine you can use the same recipe to make a cobbler too. Bake for 30/35 minutes on gas4/180c at the end of cooking.
This makes about 12 dumplings.. You can adjust the recipe easily as it's simply 2 parts flour to 1 part butter
On this day I added some smoked paprika to the mix. It gave a lovely flavour and colour to the dumplings and complimented the smoked paprika in the casserole. And before anyone asks, I'm afraid there isn't a recipe for the casserole I just put in what I have to hand (beef, onions, celery, root veggies, unpeeled new potatoes and barley) with some good quality beef stock and what ever herbs and spices I fancy.
![]() |
| Ready for the oven |
The casserole was lovely, really hearty and filling. The soup, Mr P tells me was very nice indeed but as for the cake......lets just say I won't be making it again in a hurry. Everyone else said they liked it but it really wasn't for me.





No comments:
Post a Comment