Saturday, 31 December 2011

Christmas round up.....

Finally today we took down the decorations and cards and returned the house to some level of normality. I love to have it all packed away ready to start the New Year in a clean and tidy house (not counting the children's bedrooms in that, clearly!)
I love making gifts for people. I think it's so much nicer to give something a little more personal than shopping off a wish list of some kind, although they are handy at times! So I thought I'd do an end of year blog and record the gifts that I made for loved ones this Christmas. There are already plans for things I'd like to make people, more food related gifts next year, so long as I'm organised enough.

This year the gifts were either sewn or assembled with love.

There was of course R's quilt, the first one I've ever made.
I'm pleased to say he loved it and declared it to be this years best present!
The girls got note book covers as they're always jotting things down and making lists.
Last year I made several stationary or make-up rolls. They went to the children and Mr P
Last years 'roll's' piled up and ready to go

This was an extra large one for Mr P to hold all the equipment for his studies.
My Niece, who's a midwife, said how handy she would find one for work and I had intended to make her one through the year, but that didn't happen so I made her one for Christmas, along with one for my nephews wife to keep her make-up brushes in.

I wanted to make something for my sister, but didn't think she'd use a make-up roll or a notebook cover so I decided on a stationary wallet as I know she still likes to write and receive letters. I adapted my note book pattern to accommodate envelopes and stamps ad I was quite pleased with the finished product.
Pockets for envelopes and stamps and a larger section containing writing paper and greetings cards
When closed it looks like a notebook
 I also made and embroidered a cushion for my brother and his wife, who this year returned to the UK to live. I can't find a picture of it but it's similar to the ones in my post mentioned above.

I made some super speedy, thrifty gifts for MB's new baby brother. Baby burping cloths made from Ikea guest towels. Simply take a guest towel and decorate with patchwork or felt shapes for an easy baby gift in no time and at very little cost (The towels were a mere 19p each!!!)
My favourite 3 little felt birdies

Bright patchwork

Baby blues stars
 The towels are the perfect size to pop on your shoulder while bringing up wind and prevent your shoulder from getting covered in sicky dribbles! (I've been there!)
Burping cloths ready to be wrapped
They were so quick to make and I'm hoping they were a welcome gift. I know I would have made good use of them especially with babies 2 & 3!

The children's teachers got sticky ginger cupcakes with tiny little candy canes that I made from icing


And then there were the hampers. We have some special people who are a little tricky to buy for, but for whom we wanted a special gift, so I hand selected little luxuries and filled wooden crates made by my lovely Mr P. 

There was a coffee and sweet treats hamper for Mr P's lovely Mum. Special coffee, black cherries in Kirsch, coffee syrup, nice biscuits and luxury cereal were some of her items.


 Mr P's Dad also had a hamper with nice wines, cheeses, crackers, chutneys and a book about the mapping of steam railways, complete with an engine driver cap! (photo? No, lost in cyber space!)
 The hamper above was for the children's Godparents, who happen to be wonderful friends. The idea behind their hamper was a little box (or crate!) of inspiration for those 'what shall we have for dinner?' moments. sachets, jars and spices and of course those little treat items that don't often make it into the weekly shopping trolley

 And last but not least the Chilli lovers hamper, well that's how it started out. This one was for Mr P's sister Lynsey. I started off finding all manner of chilli items (chocolate, crackers, crisps, jam etc) then I spotted Marmite products and Olives and alcohol and all kinds of things that I thought she'd love. I could barely squeeze them all in but with a bit of jiggling and a lot of patience I somehow managed it!
Stack of Hampers
So there it is, my Christmas round up. I've left you with one last shot of Felix, our cat, gazing longingly at the baked Brie. You'll be pleased to know Mr P and I got a new camera for Christmas, so hopefully better pictures on our blogs from now on!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and send you all best wishes for the coming year x

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I want to be on your hamper list next year these are amazing. So much thought has gone into these. Where did you get those crates? I love your quilts I really do as I tried patchwork for a few months but gave up. The notebooks are wonderful but then I have a thing for notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Lovely Mr P made the crates for me. I started out thinking cardboard boxes but he had a better idea! We make a good team :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How fantastic are your gifts! I love them all! The hampers & crates are such a brilliant idea...very nice indeed x

    ReplyDelete