Saturday, 7 January 2012

Fishy Fishy......

Through Twitter I started to follow a lady called Hannah Wong (@HannahW1g) in fact I think she may have followed me, anyhow she has a website called The Resurceful Cook it has recipes and meal plans for couples and families, quick shops, dinner parties all sorts. It really is very useful. You can even get it to do a shopping list for you, if you like, it's fantastic. I've made several recipes from the site and all were enjoyed by our family. I'd often chatted to Hannah on Twitter or re-tweeted posts she'd put on and one day she messaged me and asked if I'd like a book called Fishy Fishy.
There was no catch, she didn't ask me to write a review and I didn't have to enter a competition or anything. She just sent me a direct message and asked of I'd like it as she had a 'spare' copy. I was really pleased. Fish is one thing I have trouble getting the family to eat so a fish cook book would be very welcome.
A couple of weeks later it arrived.
It's a beautiful book, lots of nice pictures a forward from Dermot O'leary, co-owner of the Fishy Fishy restaurant. There's information on fishing methods,controls and quota's, how to buy and how to prepare. The recipes cover starters, barbecues, everyday and special occasions as well as sauces, side dishes and desserts (not including fish!)
It's a great book to look through and read, but not many of the recipes are what I consider family or lets say child friendly, not when those children just about eat tinned tuna!
I was determined to try out at least one recipe on the whole family so I opted for the Fishy Fishy Fishcakes the safest option there.
The recipe was pretty simple to follow, nothing complicated, no strange ingredients. Fingers crossed the fusspots  family would like them.
They were easy to make, not too time consuming and you can make them in advance a store in the fridge until ready.
The recipe says it makes six but I made nine and a baby sized one for L who may or may not have a fish allergy. You start them off in a frying pan and finish them off in the oven,
They turned out just like the ones in the book but sadly as we're still to take the new camera out of the box the picture I took on my phone hasn't come out very well. Maybe because I was rushing as I just wanted to sit down to my tea.
I served them with potato wedges and a mixture of curly kale and peas. Yum!
They really were delicious and more importantly the family really liked them. Empty plates all round.

So I'd say if you like fish this book would be good to get, lots of lovely recipes and information, but maybe not the best book for family fish recipes for reluctant fish eaters. I however am pleased to have it in my collection of cook books. Thank you Hannah x

Please note - I was not asked to write this review, nor did I receive any recompense. The book was sent to me as a gift not as part of a promotion

2 comments:

  1. What a nice surprise! Not a big fishy person but I do like fishcakes. I got asked to do a review on Hotel Chocolat which was a shock. Looking forward to the girly evening we have planned with them! Hope your week went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh lucky you!! I wasn't asked to write this review, but if anyone wants to send me chocolate....feel free!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete