Friday, 13 January 2012

So Far So Good....

I'm determined for this year to be a good one. I feel like we're due one, but I also realise that you can't just sit back and wait for good things to happen. There are certain things that I hope will happen, but they are not in my control. So while I watch and wait I'm going to make some good things happen, little things but who knows where they will lead?
I wrote a New Year blog post and I have to say the amount of lovely comments, messages and emails I received really gave me a boost. Everyone commented on what a positive post it was, I had said in it that one of my aims was to be more positive about things and once you write something in a blog and tell the world about it, you have to do it....right?
I'd like to think I've had less downs and more ups, it certainly feels that way and yes I know it's only the middle of January but that's me being positive!

This year I'm going to try and say Yes more. Yes to more things that I want to do. It's no secret that I haven't made many any friends since moving North and that's not because I'm not friendly or approachable, the opportunity just hasn't arisen. Drop off at two separate schools to start with didn't help, nor did finding a job where you work alone in a different location everyday, so how do you make friends?

I met four amazing ladies (JujuJuliaHelen and Fran)  through the wonder that is Twitter and met up with three of them in Manchester at the Christmas markets. It was like meeting up with old friends, not new ones and the only downside is that we're pretty spread out in terms of where we live, but that won't stop us meeting up as and when we can. I class them as real friends and I'm very much looking forward to meeting up again very soon.
Helen, who lives closest to me, couldn't make the markets, but had previously asked me along to a Clandestine Cake Club. I didn't go. If I'm honest I was too shy to go along. I would have known no one and I had no one to take either so I didn't go (Sorry H x)
 I've previously let too many things pass me by, well not any more!
Helen, amazing lady that she is, was setting up a new branch of The WI and again asked me along. I ummed and arred  about going, as again I would know no one and had yet to meet Helen face to face, but other than that I could find no reason not to go. I had a word with myself. For work I stood up infront of a hall full of strangers on a daily basis and yet I was stalling going somewhere to meet like minded people in my area. So that settled it, I told Helen I'd be there and went along to the meeting.
At the meeting I of course met Helen, in person and sat myself next to a lady, who happens to live very close to me indeed! We'll meet once a month, but there will be sub groups set up with the opportunity to learn new skills or crafts and share interests too. Suddenly I don't feel so alone.

And I've also signed up to go to the next meeting of a local CCC  where the theme is Patron Saint of Cakes. I have no clue what cake I will make and take along, so suggestions welcome! But as the organiser pointed out, it's not a competition, it's just for fun. Fun......yes....I think I remember how that works!

So that will be two new things I've joined or taken part in this month already!
I'm also set on making foodie things that I've never made or maybe never tried before. Some of them are simple, like tomato soup! No, I had never made it before, not until last weekend, that is. As for cakes I want to look more at using royal icing or sugar paste to decorate small and larger cakes. I've never tried, so today I took a tiny step in that direction and made some cupcakes for MB's birthday. I usually just do swirly butter icing but today I did some with Royal icing too.

I hope she'll like them. I've got a little glittery pink '8' candle to stick in the top cake for her.

On the sewing front I aim to make my first garment. I've had the pattern and the fabric for months, just been putting off trying it. Not for much longer, well until next week. It's only comfy pants or house trousers for my girls, but as M pointed out to me the other day if I don't make them soon, she'll have outgrown the pattern!

So, I think it's so far so good on the 'new' front...I wonder what else new will come from there first steps I've taken? New friends, new crafts, new skills.....who knows, but it's all very exciting!

12 comments:

  1. I love the cupcakes, they're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate, I think she'll like them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely are you? It was fantastic meeting you on Tuesday - you are just as fab as I imagined. Here's to a year of new and fun experiences and new friends! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that you pushed yourself to go make friends and it worked out so well. I know how difficult it can be to make friends in a new area. Love the cupcakes, they look very nice indeed! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mama. I seem to have been lucky to find some lovely people just at the right time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you found somewhere where you can meet people and pursue your cafty interests. It must be hard to be in a new place but at least it is full of wonderful memories created by your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been hard but all of a sudden things are happening, new doors are opening & I'm walking through them instead of shying away! All feels very exciting! :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post really struck a chord with me. I have recently moved to the North of England from Australia. I agree, with two different schools to drop off at, a husband who sometimes works away and a young baby, it is difficult to meet new people. But you have inspired me to put some effort in, no matter how tiring it can sometimes feel and do something about it. Firstly, leave you a comment and no longer hide behind the computer screen while reading your blog, which incidentally, I love. Secondly, join the local book club and share my love of reading. Thirdly, ....not sure yet.... but I will keep you informed!! So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Bonnie, Thank you & welcome to my little blog!
      PLEASE keep me up dated on how you get on. You can find me on Twitter @NinaBnice, come say Hello. It's so nice to know that people actually read my blog, I write it for myself mainly. It's a good therapy! Where abouts in the North are you?? Good Luck with the Book club :o)

      Delete
    2. I live in a small village near Huddersfield. Im not a member of Twitter not quite sure what to make of it.......does that make me an old "fuddy duddy" as my 7yr old would say!!!

      Delete
  9. Not at all!! It's a great way to meet people though and really easy to get the hang of. And when I say 'meet' you don't actually have to meet face to face but I speak to some great people on there, from all walks of life. If ever you do sign up, look me up & for now, thanks for reading the blog & keep me posted on how you get on :o)

    ReplyDelete