I got this recipe, or a version of it, from a lady I worked with. It actually made it onto one of our work menus, which was a real treat as we rarely got to make desserts. This one seemed to slip though the net!
All you need is
1 Butter Brioche Loaf
1 Tin peach halves in juice (you could use fresh when in season)
2 Eggs
A carton of Double Cream
Vanilla Extract
Cinnamon
Icing Sugar
This will make 4 generous servings (or you could make 6 at a squeeze)
Cut slices from the Brioche. You want them to be a good inch or 2-3cm thick.
Mix the eggs, about 100ml cream, a good shake of cinnamon, 1tsp Vanilla and pour in some of the juice from the tinned peaches, I used around a half of the juice. Whisk everything together well.
Take a slice of the Brioche and with a sharp knife cut a 'pocket' into the bottom of the slice, then pop a peach half into the pocket like this
The slice above is a little thick, but it's the end slice. Push your peach inside so it's not visible (I just left it sticking out for you to see!)
Do this to each of your slices. Dip each slice into your eggy mixture and coat all over. Place into a pan with a little oil. I used butter the first time I made them at home and they burnt, just in case you are tempted!
Cook for a minute or so on each side until nice and golden.
You don't want to oil too hot as you want to make sure that it's cooked through and that the peach is nice and hot, but you do want to hear them sizzle when they get into the pan. Remove from the pan, pop onto a plate and dust with icing sugar and an extra sprinkling of cinnamon.
| Additional cream is optional |
Mmmmm I love french toast - never tried it with cream tho! Yum
ReplyDelete